Monday, March 7, 2011

Double Mastectomy

I went to my doctor's office at the end of February fully expecting to hear nothing but good news. Silly me. I received terrible news. I have to have a double mastectomy.

Although removing my breasts doesn't guarantee that I won't ever get a new strain of breast cancer, it does provide the cancer with less real estate to devour. The other bad news is that the original strain of cancer that I had could come back ... anywhere else in my body that it chooses. My ovarian cancer could also recur, though only in the area where it originated. Lovely!

I haven't lost my spirits, though. According to my last CAT scan, I have no discernible cancer cells running rampant in my body right now. I consider that a plus.

I haven't scheduled the operation, yet. My doctor says that there's a possibility that I could get my breasts reconstructed, despite being on Medicaid. If I could, that would take a huge weight off my shoulders. I know there are some women who proudly go around breastless. I just don't think I could be one of them. If don't have to, then I don't want to be one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment