Friday, September 24, 2010

Battling Ovarian Cancer

When I won my battle against breast cancer two years ago, I thought my battles with cancer had ended for good. I was wrong. Early in August, I learned that I had a tangerine sized tumor on or near one of my ovaries. A skilled surgeon removed the tumor completely but now I must go through chemotherapy once again.

I am only required to take two drugs this time. That's a blessing. Chemotherapy scares me because I have no way of knowing how my body will react until the side effects come. I can handle mouth sores and this constant aching that started yesterday. I can handle hair loss and fatigue. What frightens me more than anything is the low white blood cell count, low red blood cell count and low platelets. Getting sick while getting chemotherapy terrifies me.

After only three days, I am already wishing these treatments could be over with and behind me. I have five more to go, provided I do well with this one and the next. My nurse told me that the first two treatments determine how someone will tolerate the drugs. If I do well this month and next month, then I should be OK.

I hope and pray that my body will tolerate these chemotherapy drugs as well as it did the ones I had for my breast cancer.

Cancer sucks!

2 comments:

  1. I've never had cancer, but I've heard it's horrible. There was this one episode of the X-Files where this guy had a bunch of tumors, but instead of killing him, if he lost a limb or something, it would regrow. Because that's basically what cancer is: cells that grow a lot faster than in the rest of the body. At least, that's the impression I get. I hope that you get better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to comment on all of these in one shot!!!

    To say that I was frieghtned, enlightened, and overwhelmed is a gross understatement!I am totally blown away! The seriousness, and the insanity of it all is more than most could ever begin to comprehend, myself included! Yet, you've endured! And what could be more theraputic than writing about it?

    I will be refering your blog to everyone I know.
    This should be required reading for anyone that is dealing with cancer and the loved ones that take care of them. God bless you all, for these are stories that make life worth living.

    Love,

    Andy

    ReplyDelete